Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Reason Why

So last week at class we learned how to reposition your opponent's arm to a more advantageous angle in order to...basically make them freak out and loosen their grip on you. The cool thing? When we were rolling (for real, not practice) I actually got into a position similar to what we were practicing and something clicked in my brain. I thought, "wait, this feels familiar!" and I immediately did the exact move that we had practiced! It wasn't a choke or submission but the feeling of actually accomplishing something you learn in practice in a live rolling session was absolutely thrilling! It made me realize that I am really learning something and that my brain is picking up on stuff even when I feel like a rookie slug learning how to make goo.

So fast-forward to this week and I have upped my membership to KCBJJ  http://www.kcbjj.com/ to unlimited, which means I can go to as many classes as I want to during the week. So I'm psyched! Tonight I just stayed for foundations class, and tomorrow I'll go back for training. Then I'm thinking I'll pop in on Saturday morning to practice the stuff I learned during the week. I haven't taken advantage of the open mat yet but I feel that I have just enough of a base now that I can really make use out of it.

Also, a huge kudos to the amazing stuff KCBJJ has accomplished in the past month. Check out the main page on the lower left-hand corner!

A shout out to Jason Bircher is also in order. I didn't realized when I started at KCBJJ that studying under a black belt is kind of a big freaking deal and the more I've been there the more awesome stuff I've heard about Jason from the guys who train with him. THANK YOU for making me feel extremely welcome and letting me know that I can do this. I trust him when he says that he would tell me if I was wasting my time. I'm looking forward to a lot more lernin'!

Thanks for reading folks.

AS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment