Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fourth class coming up!

Well I have almost completed a MONTH of classes. That sounds a lot more impressive than just four classes, right?

Let's see...I do in fact feel differently now than when I began. Day 1 was characterized by extreme excitement and a good dose of nervous energy. Getting through foundations class for an hour and the training class for another hour and a half was pulled off based purely on those two emotive states. I rolled a couple of times in the training section of the class but only because Jason (the instructor) had me spar (I just can't get that karate out of my language) with him.

Day 2 was actually harder because I KNEW what I was getting into and I am much more prone to fearing the known than the unknown. I made it through and actually rolled quite a bit, leaving me absolutely exhausted. That was the day I learned what, "I'm going to wipe the floor with you" really means.

Day 3, last week in other words, was a mixture. I was still a little nervous but by then was getting a handle on the attitude of some of the guys in the class. I'm not going to name names...mostly because I can't remember them, but some of the guys are extremely patient and will let me go as slowly as I need to get the technique perfect. I'm afraid I take serious advantage of them!

So tonight completes my first month of training and I am PUMPED. Not only do I know what's coming, but I am also excited about it! I don't know about you, but I HATE exercising, and the conditioning that we have to do before each class is my least favorite part. But I'm kind of getting a handle on it and it's not so intense any more. I really, really, really, need to condition outside of class. Working on it! Actually, I'm working on the attitude that goes along with regular conditioning. (Stupid exercise. Why did it have to be invented in the first place?)

So today for lunch I had a protein shake and half of a baked sweet potato with butter and salt and a couple sprinkles of brown sugar. Also made myself an extra 12oz of coffee to make sure my energy level is good after having a pretty intense couple of days of work. I've purposely scheduled Wednesday afternoons to volunteer at the front office of my church so I don't have to go directly from work to class, and I get to spend three hours on my butt which feels like a luxury after cleaning what feels like 15 toilets and sweeping 3lbs of dog hair off of hardwood floors.

Later I'll have to write about my little ritual before class but that is for another time.

Tonight, if I get there early enough to have a couple minutes with the instructor, I'm going to ask him to help me develop a couple of goals to work towards. I can't do anything for long without a goal in mind! Need something to work towards, even if it's a reach.

That's it for now. Adios my friends, and thanks for reading!

P.S. If you did in fact make it to the end of this post, I highly appreciate it. The blogs that I have enough attention for are usually funny and mine are definitely not funny. I mean, come to think of it, I might think less of you who actually made it through this entire, boring post. Seriously...

1 comment:

  1. Not boring at all: I read a lot of blogs, and this one has been going well so far. Keep it up! :D

    ReplyDelete