Saturday, September 3, 2011

Exercise, Schmexercise

Okay, I admit it. I hate exercising with a passion. Always have. The most annoying thing about it is that I don't see the POINT. I guess you could say, I hate exercising just for the sake of exercising.

I tell people this and I get very odd looks and inevitably hear these two things. "Oh, but it's so good for you! And it makes you FEEL so good!" No, exercise does not make me feel good. Actually it makes me very hungry and very sore and very tired. And then after I (eventually) get into the habit of exercising I begin asking myself, when is the last time I had to do a pull-up in real life? Is this making my life better or easier? Hm. Not really.

So here's what I'm getting to. When I have a real, tangible reason to exercise, it's not work any more! Today I went on a walk/jog/conditioning run because that's what we do in class to warm up. We run forwards and backwards and sideways and with knees up and ankles up. So when I was running today, all I was thinking about was, "this will make class easier".
I rubbed parts of my feet raw in class so have to tape them up in order to wear my beloved Vibrams.
Then I hopped onto youtube and looked for some sport-specific conditioning that I can do in my living room without a partner and stumbled across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iydZKc_mnn8 
It took me an hour more or less to figure out how to do them and get through a few reps but I am anticipating it getting faster in the future.

I took a short video of me attempting one of the exercises but for some reason the site won't accept the format that it's in :(. Well maybe I'll figure it out at some point. 

Thanks for reading folks :)



1 comment:

  1. Ha - my girlfriend is the same way, she HATES exercise. Hence why I was thrilled she was willing to come down to my BJJ class (obviously helps that I'm teaching it, as that makes it much less intimidating). Hopefully I'll be able to get her down to a second, but as she still hates exercise, not all that likely. ;)

    ReplyDelete