Friday, October 7, 2011

First Miss, Boo.

I 'had' to skip class last night for the first time...just felt really yucky. Some kind of disagreeable food substance was not treating me well. I wish I could be a bit more macho about it and 'work through the pain' but the last thing I want to do is push so hard that it becomes a chore and not the most fun thing EVER.

Looking even more forward to Saturday open mat. I went last week to open mat for the first time and it was amazing. It was as if everything I had (sort of) learned up to this point had a chance to congele. Also learned and practiced how to pass a guard. THANK YOU to the brown belt instructor who proactively approached me and offered a lesson. Remind me to catch your name again this week.

Passing a guard involves scootching back as far as possible while keeping your center of gravity super low. Then jumping to a wide stance, bringing a knee under to the middle of your opponent's legs, then dropping quickly to (hopefully) break their grip. I'm on the smaller side compared to most of my practice buds so I'm lucky if I actually break the guard but I can usually get it to loosen. Then with the other leg you smush them down as much as possible and work yourself into a side-guard position. From there of course I have no idea what to do. Maybe some more congealing needs to happen to bring my offensive game up to par :)

Thanks for reading, all.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I would say you're right on "more congealing". I'm a purple belt who has been trying to pass the damn guard for the last five years, and I STILL suck at it. ;p

    ReplyDelete